- Every laboratory should have a file of Material Safety Data Sheets for all chemicals used in the laboratory
- When working with a chemical especially when it is the first time the MSDS sheet should be read and all safety guidelines mentioned should be followed.
- All employees who use hazardous chemicals on the job have a legal “right to know” about the hazards they may face and the ways they can protect themselves from those hazards. Lab workers also have this right.
- Industrial applications generally use large quantities of a few chemicals while labs tend to use a wide variety of chemicals, but in small quantities
- OSHA defines “laboratory scale” operations as those that use containers “designed to be easily and safely manipulated by one person”