GENERAL SUGGESTIONS ON PREPARATION METHODS
- Use the gentlest possible cutting method to minimize cutting damage and yield a smooth surface
- SiC paper may be used for first grinding step
- Start with the finest possible SiC grit size, P280 or P400, to minimize grinding damage
- Diamond in slurry or suspension form in small sizes (< 6 μm) may become embedded in the surface of soft metals
- Use diamond in paste form for sizes < 6 μm for soft metals To reduce relief, use napless cloths
DOWNLOAD THE PRESENTATION HERE
The articles and presentations that can be down-loaded from this web site are based upon work done by GFV while employed at Bethlehem Steel (1967-1983), Carpenter Technology (1983-1996), Buehler Ltd. (1996-2009) and Struers (2009-Present) and from the authors consulting work for companies such as, Latrobe Steel, Scot Forge, etc., and from his litigation work. GFV's bylined articles appearing in various issues of the ASM Handbook series have been listed here courtesy of ASM International, Materials Park, Ohio.